Most of us use a bundle of applications and software on the daily basis that covers a vast number of categories. These applications and software are developed with the help of specially designed software with special features and abilities, known as Integrated Development Environments (IDEs). Microsoft Visual Studio is one the IDEs that enables to produce a wide range of applications. According to Finance Online’, it is ranked #1 in the list of Top 10 IT Development Software. It is also one of the top 5 in the IT Management Software list. Any person who has a taste for software development must know about this application, as it has become widely famous in the IT industry .It has become essential to know that what is Visual Studio, What features benefits it offers and what are the reviews and recommendations from the community.
What is Microsoft Visual Studio?
This product is an integrated development environment (IDE). IDE software provides a comfortable environment to the developers with special features and abilities. It is created by Microsoft. This program is used for developing computer programs, web applications, mobile applications and cloud-based services. That aside, for companies and teams, it also offers the features of vision control, application control and agile planning. Moreover, for the coder community, it offers a free of cost environment. It is available on the widely used platforms, such as Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
What does it offer?
Visual Studio offers a wide range of features depending upon the price plan and requirement of the user. Some of the main features of the product are listed below:
• Project collaboration: the members of a team or a company can add their work for the team.
• Create permissions: special privileges can be created for specific users.
• Manage users: the authorized user can add, remove or restrict users on priorities.
• Customize dashboard: changes are possible in the main panel or dashboard.
• Create reports: the environment allows creating progress reports about the project.
• Task management: it enables to assign task to members and keep track of it.
• Export to Excel: the reports can be produced in the form of Excel file.
• Java, Ruby, Python etc.: This platform supports many programming languages.
• Identifies bugs: IDE’s debugger helps to spot errors in the code.
• Hosting included: The website can be hosted through related price plan.
• Freemium version: A specific version of the software is available for free, mainly for coders.
• Online support: Any problem or queries are answered through online portal.
• View backlogs: The list of important tasks is visible in the backlogs.
• Eclipse plugin: Eclipse is an IDE that can work in collaboration with Visual Studio.
• Git client support: The users have a Git client built directly into their IDE.
• Video tutorials: The video tutorials are also provided for users to learn.
• Peek definitions: it enables the user to quickly check a function’s definition without going into extensive detail.
•Benefits for using visual studio
Then, the platform also provides an efficient IntelliSense feature. This feature gives swift prompt for suggestions for the possible code. This feature allows the user to code quickly without getting worried about the syntax errors. This feature keeps the developers at much ease.
That aside, the platform also offers the code review tool feature, named Devart’s Review Assistant, where you can submit your proposal for a review. This tool is greatly beneficial to the developers as it creates an opportunity for them to review their work and improve their skills.
The IDE is available on different pricing plans depending upon the features and services provided. The license is available on monthly and annual basis. Also, a standalone license is also available for subscription. The detailed plan of benefits and features of the all the subscriptions is available on the official website of Microsoft Visual Studio. A specific version of the software is available for the coders for basic services and features, while larger teams and companies which require more services are charged with a range of prices. For teams the prices range from $2,999 to 5,999 per month, whereas standalone license starts from $45 per user for visual studio professional and $499 for Visual studio enterprise.
Reviews and Recommendations
According to the company’s own Customer Satisfaction Algorithm, which was created for gathering and evaluating reviews about the platform, most of the users were found comfortable with the product. However, the developer community has shared some concerns regarding the software. First of all, this platform is regarded as overkill for small projects. For larger projects, the platform assists in an excellent way, while in case of smaller project, some developers like lighter IDEs, such as Notepad++. Then, the documentation of the software is also hard to understand. Many posts have been found on a Question/Answer website StackOverflow asking help for understanding the documentation. Moreover, there is a criticism over graphics editor of the platform. In addition, the product also requires a lot of processing power for deploying tools, which compromises the performance of the computers below Core i5. Not only it takes a lot of processing power, but also consumes a huge portion of RAM and hard-disk drive, which akes other application work slow. Some of the users are also concerned about the price of the product. It is regarded as expensive for the individual developers. Apart from these concerns, the users are very comfortable with the platform. Most of the users have also recommended this product to other developers who are looking for a compatible management and coding platform. The developer community expects that Microsoft would look into the recommendations.
Having said these, Microsoft Visual Studio has a lot to offer. This integrated development environment is the best suitable for developing a wide categories of applications. It incorporates several features and services to facilitate individual users and companies. This all in one platform provides many benefits to users including IntelliSense feature, Review Assistant tool and all-in-one capabilities of the platform. The pricing plan of the platform provides a range of options for the users. A free version is also available for coders. Although, there are some concerns and recommendations of the developer community, the overall experience of the product is highly rated. For a developer, it has become an imperative to learn about this platform.